If your sectional sofa keeps moving around, you can fasten the sections together with the Sofa Snap bracket. This hardware is used to connect modular upholstered furniture to form seating rows or groups. The hardware is easily connected to the bottom of the upholstered pieces and connects to the corresponding angle bracket. Some models allow the forks to be safely pivoted out of the way when not in use, preventing accidental injuries caused by walking into the forks. The catch fork is correctly oriented and the upholstered pieces are pushed together. As a minimum, you will need 1 Sofa Snap Unit for each two sections you wish to keep together. The connection is released by lifting.
While one Sofa Snap bracket is sufficient for most applications, some customers have found that sectionals located in high-traffic environments may benefit from installing two Sofa Snap brackets at each separation. In addition, the "Fixed Mount models (#910 and #917) are not designed to pivot, allowing a stronger connection. Sofa Snap brackets may not provide a secure connection if your sectional pieces are located on an uneven surface, or if they stand at different heights from the floor (replacing the legs to all with new legs to all be the same height can fix this.)
For detailed installation instructions, please see the attached PDF at the bottom of the page.
The Sofa Snap comes in 7 different styles in order to better fit various sectional styles, sizes, and configurations. The main differences to which to be alert are:
- Compact or Flat
- The Compact Sofa Snaps mount on smaller dimensions of wood frame due to their right angled base. You can mount the Compact size models on as little as 3/4" of wood frame. The longer side of the base will extend up on the inside of the sectional frame, necessitating the temporary removal of a small section of the underpinning from the sectional piece. This underpinning can be replaced after the Compact Sofa Snap is installed.
- The Flat Sofa Snaps require a 2-1/4" x 1-3/4" frame section for installation.
- Fixed or Pivoting Mount
- The Pivoting Mount will allow some placement flexibility with your sectionals. Also, the pivoting forks will prevent accidental injuries caused by contact with the mount; When the sections are separated the forks can be pivoted completely under the piece to which they are attached.
- The Fixed Mount will hold your sectionals more rigidly stationary. Because the Fixed Mount Sofa Snaps are all metal and designed to remain stationary, they will have a stronger hold. They are ideal for high-traffic areas.
Please click on the links embedded in this article (pictures are links also) to be taken to a detailed description including detailed measurements for each model:
1. Model #917 - Compact Model, Fixed Forks Model 917, Vertical View
The Compact Fixed Mount Sofa Snap, Model 917, is used on Sectionals that have a thin frame base with a recessed bottom. This piece is designed to mount to the bottom of your sofa on the edge of the wooden frame so it can stick out.
2. Model #938 - Compact Model, Pivoting Forks Model #938, Showing Pivoting Action
The Compact Pivoting Mount Sofa Snap, Model 938, is used on Sectionals that have a thin frame base with a recessed bottom. This piece is designed to mount to the bottom of your sofa on the edge of the wooden frame so it can stick out.
3. Model #910 - Flat Model, Fixed Forks Model 910, Side View, Engaged
The Flat Fixed Mount Sofa Snap, Model 910 is used on Sectionals that have a wider frame able to accommodate the 2 1/4" x 1 3/4" base. This piece is designed to mount to the bottom of your sofa on the edge of the wooden frame so it can stick out.
By popular demand, we are now offering the Replacement Male Angle Tongue (also called Clip, tab, or catch pin), which work with the Model #910. These small tabs are sometimes broken when moving furniture. If the female half (the forks) of your Model #910 Sofa Snap bracket still works, there is no need to replace the entire unit. Now, just replace the broken or missing part.
4. Model #929 - Flat Model, Pivoting Forks Model 929, Side View Engaged
The Flat Pivoting Mount Sofa Snap Model 929, is used on Sectionals that have a wider frame able to accommodate the 2 1/4" x 1 3/4" base. This piece is designed to mount to the bottom of your sofa on the edge of the wooden frame so it can stick out.
The Flat Extra Long Pivoting Mount Sofa Snap Model 216 is used on Sectionals that have a wider frame able to accommodate the 2 1/4" x 1 3/4" base. This piece is designed to mount to the bottom of your sofa on the edge of the wooden frame so that it can stick out. The extra long length of the pivoting forks allow even over stuffed sectionals to be joined.
The Sofa Snap Model #345 is identical to the Sofa Snap Model #910 with the exception that the Male Angle Tongue is of a stronger solid triangular design and will hold up better under high traffic and high stress applications.
7. Model #007 - Flat Model, Pivoting Stem, Heavy Duty Model 007, Unengaged
The Sofa Snap Model #007 is a flat mount, pivoting Sofa Snap designed for heavy-duty, high stress applications. Instead of a dual-fork design, the Model #007 has a heavy-duty reinforced Single Stem which fits into a heavy duty receptor unit. If your application calls for a heavy-duty, pivoting Sofa Snap -- this is the Sofa Snap for you. Also, both the pivoting single stem and the receptor measure 2-5/16" x 1-3/16". They can be attached to narrow frames.